lout-users

RE: Another way of tweaking lout to support alien characters?

From: Matěj Cepl
Subject: RE: Another way of tweaking lout to support alien characters?
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:56:40 -0000

        [MCepl]  Would it be possible to make lout definitions for
chr($BE) (Pascal notation -- I do not know how to write "ž" in seven bit
ascii -- maybe "z~"?) which would substitute z~ for composite of two
glyphs, for z and for caron? Something like one-letter-definition.

> In Lout characters (or to be precise, glyphs) are objects, and you can
> combine arbitrary objects into new objects.  So the problem is not to
> make new objects first class citizens (they already are) - the problem
> is that little magic that happens with words behind the scenes when
> they are transformed from (syntactic) words into objects.

        [MCepl]  Oh well, you are true I am afraid. Ted, how would groff
deal with hyphenation in the word containing your beatiful composite?

                        Matthew