lout-users

Re: Space between words

From: Stephan Pabst
Subject: Re: Space between words
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:20:14 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 08:59:52AM +1000, Jeff Kingston wrote:

> Yes, Lout does have a lower limit, but unlike TeX Lout never actually
> gives up on any paragraph.  So the more important question is how
> does Lout compare a very tight line against the alternative, hyphenation
> or having a very loose line.

To my experience, Lout does not always consider this lower limit.
If there are only a few unbreakable objects, the space between them
may become negative, causing overlapping words in the printed text.
The following example (which originally was the title of a
@SubSubSection in one of my documents) demonstrates the problem:

@SysInclude { doc }
@Document
//
@Text @Begin
@I { Attribute @OneCol { RENTENINDIZES. @S Bbp_Performanceindex },
@OneCol { RENTENINDIZES_MSK. @S Bbp_Performanceindex } und
@OneCol { RENTENINDIZES_WSK. @S Bbp_Performanceindex } }
@End @Text

The generated PostScript code shows that the comma (position 4636)
gets printed within the following word "RENTENINDIZES_MSK" (starting
at position 4388) - putting each word on a separate line certainly
would have been a better choice in this case:

3041(ERFORMANCEINDEX)s 240 fnt83 4636(,)s 4388(RENTENINDIZES_MSK.)s 6862(B)s

The solution to this problem therefore might be a combination of
"altering the weightings" and "raising/enforcing the lower limit".

Stephan