lout-users

Re: What kind of documents are ideal for lout?

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: What kind of documents are ideal for lout?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:47:23 +0300

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 10:16:55AM -0500, Krishna Podury wrote:

> Now, from your experience, is it worth learning lout if all I use it
> for is to create small documents for one time use only?

I often use lout for all sort of one-pagers.  This is mostly low-level
object concatentaion stuff, since it's just not worth generalizing it.

> Also, since I earn my living working on unix platforms, I cant get
> myself to use that M$WORD to write my resume or other documents. I feel
> as if I'm not being honest with myself as I promote unix every chance I
> get and go use the PC for my needs. Do you think resume is a good place
> to start with lout? Please let me know.

It might be a good task for starters.  Write it using explicit
low-level concatenation operators.  Then you'll notice parts that you
repeat over an over.  Pack them into definitions, and so on.  I think
this actually is not very different from learning other programming
languages.

Jeff's letter style is a good example of simple things you could do.
What I particulary like (pedagogically) about it is the use of
@Document inside definition.

SY, Uwe