lout-users

Problem enforcing correct hyphenation using the &- symbol

From: Stephan Pabst
Subject: Problem enforcing correct hyphenation using the &- symbol
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:10:36 +0400 (MSD)

Hello,

while reformatting one of out research papers using lout 3.12, I
encountered the following hyphenation problem:

In some special cases where lout is unable to determine the correct
hyphenation, it also refuses to accept any hints (given by inserting
the &- symbol).  The following example demonstrates the problem:

When formatting the text file

@SysInclude { doc }
@Doc @Text @Begin
German @Language {
Nur Anleihen von Daueremittenten
(Pfandbriefe, Kommunalobligationen und sonstige Daueremissionen)
}
@End @Text

lout incorrectly hyphenates "Daueremissionen" to "Dauere- missionen".
If "Daueremissionen" is replaced by "Dauer&-emissionen" (the correct
hyphenation), the word won't be hyphenated at all - which looks
somewhat ugly, because the inter-word spaces become quite large.
lout even refuses to hyphenate this word if I suggest the original,
incorrect hyphenation by typing "Dauere&-missionen".

Note that this problem only occurs sporadically: If the whole sentence
is shortened, lout correctly generates "Daueremis- sionen", regardless
of whether I type "Daueremissionen" or "Daueremis&-sionen".

Is there an easy way to enforce the correct hyphenation? And is there
the possibility to verify all hyphenation points of a specific word -
to take precautions if I a word is likely to get hyphenated incorrectly?

Thanks in advance.

Stephan