lout-users

Re: Postscript & Win32 API/True Type

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: Postscript & Win32 API/True Type
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:35:57 +0200 (METDST)

> My only wish for a PS backend is a direct pdfmark support.

I hope I'll have some time to work on it once I've decided what I'm going
to do now that I have my degree.  My other wish for a PostScript backend
would be CID-keyed fonts...

> Also, I believe that GhostScript can utilize TTF (via freetype) [does
> anyone know something definite about that?].  So the only problem than
> is to obtain an AFM metrics for the TTF fonts you need.

You can use TrueType fonts with Ghostscript out of the box, and you can
generate AFMs for them using printafm.ps (included with Ghostscript).  As
for AFMs generated from Type 1 fonts, you don't get kerning pairs, though,
but for many applications this is acceptable;  for example, my printer has
Wingdings built in as a Type 42 font and I made it usable for Lout this
way.  (It is theoretically possible to generate AFMs _with_ kerning pairs
from TrueType fonts, maybe even by simply extending printafm.ps.)

--
Michael Piotrowski                         <address@hidden>
                              <http://www.linguistik.uni-erlangen.de/~mxp/>