lout-users

Re: Bibliography & ToC placement

From: Victor Sudakov
Subject: Re: Bibliography & ToC placement
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:51:30 +0700 (KRS)

Jeff Kingston wrote:
> No, it is not possible to put these things in arbitrary places.  Some
> document types offer a very limited range of alternative placements.
> For example, it is possible to have the Preface before or after the
> TOC, and it is possible to have the Bibliography before or after
> the appendices.
>
> It is not possible to place arbitrary items in the table of contents.
>
> [All of this is of course possible to the expert user; I'm speaking
> of the choices offered by the standard packages here.]
>
> Why do you need these things?

Because, for example,  sometimes I need the TOC to be at the end of the
report. And this is only one example. It is a pity but sometimes I cannot
choose the layout of my reports. After all, it is possible in LaTeX and
possible in MS Word, why should I not have this possibility if I am used to
it?

I think it would be wise to introduce a @TableOfContents command that I
could place anywhere in the document.

Another case: sometimes I want an entry in the TOC to be different from the
section's name, for example because of its being too long. It is possible in
LaTeX too (don't know about MS Word though).

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have just returned from a business trip.

--
Victor Sudakov
mailto:address@hidden