lout-users

Re: Combining German Umlauts and Russian Cyrillic characters

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Combining German Umlauts and Russian Cyrillic characters
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:58:00 +0300

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 10:40:13PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 1997 at 01:21:16AM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> >
> > > I just thought I could use something like \"{o} in LaTeX. In LaTeX
> > > it works regardless of the language selected.
> >
> > Will that do?
> >
> >     def ":" right char { @Char { {char}dieresis } }
>
> Where do I put this statement in the document?

In file `mydefs.lt' or just `mydefs' in the same directory your
document resides.  Also, don't forget that *ALL* `:' chars will be
treated as command, so you might prefer to choose a different name.
Note that the name must be either all alphabetic or all punctuation,
names like "@." are illegal.  Names with backslash and quote are
illegal too.  ":+" might be a good choice, it occurs rarely (in the
wild) and looks funny: :+{o}

> >     German @Language { Auf seine f:{u}rbitte. }
>
> And do I always have to switch the language before using this?

If you want your German text hyphenated.  You will probably need to
change the font as well because cyrillic fonts usually don't have
glyphs for characters with diaeresis (umlaut).

SY, Uwe