lout-users

Emacs mode, literate programming etc.

From: Michael Dingler
Subject: Emacs mode, literate programming etc.
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:18:11 +0000

Hi, fellow louts (what an aptly chosen name for a program ;)

Now that I started studying computer science, I'll have to
cope with quite some scientific texts, where a standard
ASCII file isn't quite enough anymore and my handwriting, well,
never mind ;)

So I just started fiddling around with lout, which seems quite
nice and doesn't force me to buy several books just to learn
about TeX, LaTeX and every package I need.

Well, it seems that every new user has some questions and I'm
no exception. Most of the answers will turn out to be RTFM, but
hey, you can't kick me, I'm too far away...

So here it comes, my little list of questions:

1.) Is there an emacs mode available for lout?
        This would be quite nice, it doesn't have to be
        especially fancy, just syntax highlighting, some
        macros etc. I just started learning scheme, so it'll
        take some time till I reached the level where I can
        hack elisp ;)

2.) How to do graphics in a cartesian coordinate system?
        I'm going to do a lot of math typesetting with lout,
        and so I'll have to do a lot of coordinate systems,
        kinda like this:

                                ^ y

                                -1      x
                ----------------+--|------------> x
                                |O  1

        Well, the actual graphics are probably a little
        bit more complicated than just xxxx, so what's
        the easiest way to draw some graphs (Polynomials,
        Integrations etc.)? Can I do this directly in lout
        or do I have to use something like gnuplot?

Hmm, I thought I wanted to ask a little bit more, but my
memory fails me... Well, I think this is enough for now.

So, read you...

PS: Why is it called lout? According to websters, a lout is a
    "clownish awkward fellow"... I don't quite get the
    connection ;)
    YABA? _L_ayout something?

--
Michael Dingler - a new fragrance for everyone
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.