lout-users

Re: Preaching DSSSL (Re: using LOUT)

From: Paul Prescod
Subject: Re: Preaching DSSSL (Re: using LOUT)
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 03:01:18 -0400

Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote:
> It is the experience of people who use Lout that it is not prone to
> mysterious behaviours.  At least that's my experience.

Ok that's good.

> I am a newcomer to Lout myself, but it doesn't take very long to
> realize how much superior it is to {La}TeX.  Just browse through, say,
> Leslie Lamport's latex book, and the Lout manuals.  The first book is
> full of exceptions, don't dos, and chicken wavings.

That's true, and its what attracted me to Lout over LaTeX, but it is
worth noting that a DSSSL user should never see either Lout or LaTeX so
Lout's usability advantages become substantially less overwhelming. On
the other hand, if Lout's usability allowed the Lout back-end to
progress more quickly than the TeX back-end, then that would be an
advantage. If it more reliably produced high quality output then that
would be another advantage.

 Paul Prescod