lout-users

Re: New User Question, Centrering Lines.

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: New User Question, Centrering Lines.
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 21:50:39 +0400 (MSD)

address@hidden example skipped]

> Why does @OneRow make this work since `Yours,' should only have one row
> marker anyway?

Well, omiting the magic (for I'm not shure about the exact reasons
myself :-), just write

        @LP
        clines @Break { Yours, }

The simplest motivation (not an explanation) is that @PP adds an
indent to the firsr line of the paragraph. But for centered paragraph
you just don't need this indentation so use @LP instead.

In fact
        @PP
        clines @Break { Yours, }
is
        //@ParaGap
            { @ParaIndent @Wide {} }
        &0i { clines @Break { Yours, } }

Basicly, "Yours," is flushed left in your original example since lout
contracts it horizontally to a reasonable minimum and only than
centers it in this minimal space. It looks like @Break object is not
the last column that receives the whole remaining space according to
"as wide as possible" rule.

Perhaps because of &0i Lout thinks that it sees a two part word. The
first part is an empty object @ParaIndent wide and the second part is
"Yours," (and this part is centered in the space equal to its own
width, and this has no visible effect); this whole word is than
considered as the last column that receives the remaining space.

Well, this issue is so esoteric and voodoo that I think that only Jeff
knows how it works exactly.

> Also, what is the proper way of getting a centred paragraph?

        @LP
        clines @Break {
        Your text here.
        }