lout-users

Re: @Verbatim bug ????

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: @Verbatim bug ????
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:24:23 +1000

This is quite interesting.  A purist would say that the meaning of
@Verbatim is that every character should be mapped to its glyph
with no interpretation.  If the tab character has no glyph, that
it the user's problem.

A realist would say that tab characters universally mean white space,
so there should not be a problem.  The question is, how much?

It would be very easy to change the definition of @Verbatim to do
some kind of substitution of space(s) for tabs.  I wonder if that
is what people want.  I notice though that David is printing in
Courier, which suggests that he really wants "de-tabbing" i.e.
substitution of a varying number of spaces depending on where we
are in the line and how many spaces a tab is worth.

My immediate suggestion, assuming that we're on Unix, is to copy
the @Verbatim definition into mydefs, change the name a bit, and
change the filter so that the file is passed through a detabbing
program first up.  There used to be a program called "detab" but
I can't find it now.  I'm not sure what the standard way to detab
is on Unix these days.

Jeff.