lout-users

Lack of hyphenation

From: Edward S. Hirgelt
Subject: Lack of hyphenation
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:55:59 -0800

I've noticed an interesting phenomenon recently with some documents
that I've been working with:  no hyphenation.  @InitialBreak is adjust
1.2fx hyphen  so that isn't the problem.

I've have perhaps 6 documents that I've been working with ranging in
length from 6 to 36 pages.  None of them have any hyphenated words.

I finally noticed this when my partner commented that the interword
spacing was uncomfortably tight in a couple of places in a report
we're writing.  I then checked a three of the docs I have at work --
same problem.

I reset them with ragged 1.2fx hyphen and got a ragged right margin
but still no hyphenation.

Is there some threshold that controls when Lout decides to hyphenate?
Is there some other flag I need to tweak?  Perhaps my documents just
don't need hyphenation.  I'm using relatively wide margins shrinking
the line length so I would expect that hyphenation would be required.
I would sort of like to see some to reduce the crowding that is
happening in some places.

All suggestions welcome.  Lout is really great and I love it.

Ed