lout-users

Re: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page?

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: How to place a figure at a location instead of the next page?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 22:51:20 +0300 (MSK)

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Bunno Lim wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Byron Newberry wrote:
[...]
> > However, I want it to be placed immediately following the
> > paragraph inwhich I discuss the graph (there is plenty of space on
> > the page).

> I think that your figure, including caption, does not fit into that
> page due to its height.

Unfortunately, this is wrong. The problem is that when you invoke
@Table, you already have some text on the current page (usually). This
means that the place for the table at the top(!) of this page was
already flushed (for text is forced into its target, causing non
attached targets to be replaced with @Null). Lout then search for the
next target that can accept the table and find it at the top of the

The problem Byron refers to is that @Table is always on the top of the
page (next page, usually) and you cannot change this:

        @Table -> @TablePlace&&following (that belongs to)
        @BeginTables -> @TopPlace&&following

What he wants is non floating tables (with captions and numbers, not
just @Tab in a @CD). I'm going to post the shell archive with my code
for immediate tables as a separate letter.

Best regards!

SY, Uwe.
--------
address@hidden                          |       Zu Grunde kommen