lout-users

Re: Typesetting Tibetan with Lout

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Typesetting Tibetan with Lout
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 1995 13:22:48 +1000

 > Are there any plans in the air to port Lout to Unicode?

I'm a big supporter of Unicode and I would love to port Lout to
Unicode.  At present I don't think that Adobe is doing anything
much to support Unicode (correct me, world, if I'm wrong) which
means that right now all that could be done is to produce a
Unicode front end that Lout would map onto an ASCII PostScript
back end.

Life would be so much easier if PostScripts fonts and font
metric files were available (and widely distributed) in Unicode
versions.  Then Lout could deal with Unicode throughout.  I would
much rather do this kind of port to Unicode than the other kind.
As address@hidden points out, the result would be Chinese, Japanese
and all the rest in one king hit.

Jeff Kingston
address@hidden