lout-users

Lout and including EPS figures

From: Tessa Lau
Subject: Lout and including EPS figures
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 13:58:40 -0400 (EDT)

I've always had a problem with the error messages lout produces when
it can't place figures in the available space on the page.  I do a lot
of technical reports using the @Report style, and typically import
5-10 drawings per 10-page document.  I do the drawings with xfig,
export as EPS, and use @IncludeGraphic to include these in my lout
document.  However, I almost always get errors like

lout file "lab3.l":
     5,1: this component of @BeginFigures did not fit into its nearest target
     5,1: 1.3c object too high for 0.5c space; @VScale inserted

which usually means some of my text is going to be compressed, and
(even more helpful)

lout file "lab3.l":
     5,1: this component of @BeginFigures did not fit into its nearest target
     5,1: 1.3c object too high for -0.0c space; @VScale inserted
     5,1: size constraint 57.790c,27.937c,57.790c broken by 0.000c,28.261c
     5,1: object deleted (it cannot be scaled vertically)

In either case I don't know which figure lout is having trouble
placing.  I usually fix this by moving my figures around randomly
until lout stops complaining.  I'd like to at least hear which figure
lout decided to delete in the second example; line 5 column 1 only
refers to the "@Report" line at the beginning of the document.

Are there any other tips on getting lout and EPS to work together?

Tessa Lau               And I find it kind of funny / I find it kind of sad
CS/A&EP '95             The dreams in which I'm dying
address@hidden  Are the best I've ever had   --Tears for Fears