lout-users

FAQ (I know it's small, but it's a start.)

From: rodrigo vanegas
Subject: FAQ (I know it's small, but it's a start.)
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 14:01:42 -0400

This and future versions of the FAQ will be available to by means of the
mailing list file server.  Just send mail to address@hidden
with a subject line of "archive send FAQ".  To learn more about the
archive send another mail with the subject "archive help".

So here's the FAQ.

                              Lout FAQ
                              --------

This mini-FAQ is maintained by Rodrigo Vanegas (address@hidden), who
also maintains the Lout mailing list.  You may suggest additions by
sending me mail.

1. What is Lout?

Lout is a document formatting system similar to LaTeX written by
Jeffrey Kingston (address@hidden) and made available by him for
under the GNU GPL.  The latest version is available by ftp as

  ftp.cs.su.oz.au:jeff/lout.2.05.tar.Z

2. How does one get quotes (") or backslashes (\) in Lout?

Quotes are explained in the reference manual, section 2.1, apparently
not very successfully judging from the questions I get.

        To get this             You type this

but these things only work inside "...".  So the way to print quoted
strings in source code listings is like this (for example)

        puts("hello\n");        puts("\"hello\\n\"");

In other words, you replace the opening " by "\", you replace the
closing quote by \"", and any \ inside you replace by \\.

rodrigo