lout-users

Re: PostScript to Ascii

From: Cameron Simpson
Subject: Re: PostScript to Ascii
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 93 14:05:24 +1000

| Not to give away too many secrets, but our PostScript
| to ascii is quite accurate; we assume you have a
| PostScript interpreter (e.g., ghostscript) but if
| you don't we can use the one inside your printer.
| The problem with your script above is that it doesn't
| take page position into account; ours does (e.g.,
| multi-column).

I have the feeling the first half of this discussion took place elsewhere
than the Lout mailing list. My script is obviously a quick hack aimed at
running off an approximation of the textual content in environments entirely
without PostScript. An alternative approach would be to subvert show and kshow
etc with a quick rebinding in the PostScript engine and log the results to
the output/diagnostic stream, which I expect is roughly how your approach
works.

Now what might be nice is general troff/lout/TeX backends to produce SGML...
        - Cameron Simpson
          address@hidden, DoD#743
--
Every \item command in item_list must have an optional argument.
        - Leslie Lamport, LaTeX