lmi

Re: [lmi] New shellcheck 0.9 warnings

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] New shellcheck 0.9 warnings
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 22:16:18 +0000

On 1/5/23 01:41, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
> CI builds got broken
> because shellcheck version in Debian Sid has changed from 0.8 to 0.9 and
> the new one gives many new warnings which can be seen in full at e.g.
>
> https://github.com/let-me-illustrate/lmi/actions/runs/3838997409/jobs/6536168165

I'll soon push changes to both source files.

>  I can fix the warnings in install_xml_libraries.sh easily enough myself,
> of course (the only surprising thing here is that these warnings were not
> given by the previous shellcheck version),

I'll leave it to you to decide whether the other occurrences of
/exit.*err/ in '.github/workflows/ci.yml' should be altered.
(It looks much like a shell script, but I don't know enough to
modify it confidently.)

> but I'm not sure what would you
> like to do about those in your allow_perf.sh script? The problem is clear
> enough there too, it's the "exit 9" line in the beginning

Thanks for pointing that out, because, without looking at that
broader context, I couldn't make sense of the diagnostics.

> and while I see
> a few different ways to work around its presence, personally I would just
> remove it. However you probably didn't add it without a reason, so I'd
> rather not make a patch removing it as you probably won't want to apply it.

That script shouldn't be run, though I've forgotten the exact
reason--probably it just doesn't do what it would seem to.
I could have turned off its executable bit, but I think that
would trigger a "concinnity" warning.