lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 601f829a 2/8: Find '*-config' scripts in

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 601f829a 2/8: Find '*-config' scripts in gcc directories for clang
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:27:59 +0200

On Fri, 24 Jun 2022 19:56:24 -0400 (EDT) Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> branch: master
GC> commit 601f829aa75519ddc5a5e0b7d6f505e7754971e5
GC> Author: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC> Commit: Gregory W. Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
GC>
GC>     Find '*-config' scripts in gcc directories for clang
GC>
GC>     There's no need at present to build libxml or wx with clang, which can
GC>     simply link the libraries already built with gcc, as long as their
GC>     '-config' scripts are on $PATH.

 Sorry, this is not generally true. Or, rather, it is for C libraries under
Unix (so libxml), as C ABI is the base of everything there, but not for C++
libraries, as even on the platforms where clang does use the same C++ ABI
as gcc, they can still be using different standard C++ libraries. And, in
fact, I think one of important advantages of compiling with clang is to be
able to use libc++, rather than gcc libstdc++, which is quite different
from the latter and sometimes more standard-compliant.

 For simplicity and robustness, I'd keep the two compilers completely
separate. C libraries don't take long to (re)build and the C++ ones can't
be reused anyhow when libc++ is used, so it's just not worth the confusion
IMO.

 Regards,
VZ