lmi

Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 9bed27ea 1/2: Revert "Remove unnecessary

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] [lmi-commits] master 9bed27ea 1/2: Revert "Remove unnecessary variable from IllustrationView::OnCreate()"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:21:19 +0200

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:31:07 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 6/16/22 00:46, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
GC> > However if we have to accept it even in this case, then I think the
GC> > view should show something indicating that it's invalid -- maybe even
GC> > the error message itself? -- as showing just a blank window doesn't
GC> > seem very user-friendly.
GC>
GC> We don't just show a blank 'view' window: we also show a
GC> messagebox. If you're suggesting we copy the messagebox text
GC> into the view,

 Personally I'd prefer showing the error only in the view, because I hate
modal message boxes and find them infuriating as a user, but I know that
you, if not love them, then don't see anything wrong with them, and so I
was not even going to speak about replacing the message box and, indeed,
was proposing only to show the same error in the view too.

GC> I'd be firmly opposed: we shouldn't spend time
GC> and effort duplicating information that's already provided

 I promise I won't argue after this, but as you had written yourself in one
of the previous messages, the problem is that once the message box is
closed the information is not provided any longer. IMO being confronted
with a blank window must be very puzzling for a user and seeing a clear
error message in it would seem to be greatly preferable (without even
speaking about the possibility to copy its text easily from there, because,
let's face it, absolutely nobody knows about using Ctrl-C in the message
box). Again, I won't argue about this, but I have to say that it's very
puzzling that you don't seem to see what is for me a glaring usability
problem here.

 But I will add a GUI unit test for this behaviour, thanks for confirming
this.

 Regards,
VZ