lmi

Re: [lmi] Invalid pointer-pair?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Invalid pointer-pair?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 23:10:45 +0000

On 6/11/22 20:31, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
>  But I still have no idea why/how does enabling ASAN triggers it. I could
> look into it, but a quick search found another occurrence of the same
> problem in https://github.com/cms-sw/cmssw/issues/36480 and I don't think
> it's reasonable to resort to this kind of fragile workarounds in any case.

Yes, I agree, and I find the author's last several words quite poetic:

"On one hand these workarounds would allow keeping the ASAN compilation
flags, on the other hand I'm slightly concerned these workarounds would
quickly sediment."

> Also, they link to https://github.com/google/sanitizers/issues/1324 where
> the ASAN maintainer (kcc) says that they don't consider the pointer-compare
> feature production-ready and that it will probably only become usable in
> HWSAN. So I won't do anything about this (i.e. attempt to find a
> workaround) unless you tell me so -- but please do if you think it would be
> worth it.

I agree: we should do nothing now, passively waiting for the feature
to become usable. There aren't many explicit pointers in lmi anyway,
and we can hope that other tools like
    -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG_PEDANTIC \
would reveal dangers in implicit pointer use via the standard library.