lmi

[lmi] Menu underlining defect

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Menu underlining defect
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:35:59 +0000

As the attached screenshot shows, menu underlining is defective,
at least with 'wine'. Example: for "Print case to spreadsheet",
'h' should be underlined, as 'menus.xrc' says:
  <label>Print case to spreads_heet\tCtrl-Shift-H</label>
but 'e' is underlined instead.

That's the most obvious instance, but there are others:
 - "Print group premium quote to PDF": the underlining starts
   in the middle of 'q' and ends in the middle of 'u'
 - "Fixed column width": parts of 'u' and 'm' are underlined
and close inspection reveals other, subtler underlining defects.
I'd speculate that the pixels are counted differently for
underlining than for character rendering, and that the apparent
displacement by one full character in "spreads_heet" is just an
accidental effect of a set of discrepancies that add to one
character width.

I see this for i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-10 with both
  wine-4.0.3 (Debian 4.0.3-1) and
  wine-5.0.3 (Debian 5.0.3-3)
(in different chroots). I took screenshots of both, but they
seem indistinguishable in all respects listed above, so I've
attached only one. Incidentally, switching between 96 and 192
DPI has no effect: as expected, the screenshots look the same
regardless.

This is a low priority: those of us who still use keyboard
navigation probably favor the Ctrl- shortcuts on the menu
anyway.