lmi

Re: [lmi] Reboot for upgraded kernel?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Reboot for upgraded kernel?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 20:06:56 +0100

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 18:54:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> Vadim--I'm using debian's 'unattended-upgrades' to make sure none
GC> of my machines fall behind. When the kernel is upgraded, I see:
GC>   Unattended upgrade result: All upgrades installed
GC>   Warning: A reboot is required to complete this upgrade, or a previous one.
GC> I think you told me years ago that you almost never reboot.

 Unfortunately I did have to reboot relatively recently and will probably
have to do it again soon due to the serious security problems found in the
kernel.

GC> How then do you react to kernel upgrades?
GC>  - just ignore them?

 As long as it seems reasonable, yes.

GC>  - actually reboot?
GC>  - do some complex other thing that replaces a running kernel?

 I did want to set things up to use kexec, but have never actually done it.
It still seems like it could be nice to use it and it's also supposed to be
much simpler to set up now than when I looked at it many years ago, so
perhaps it's worth looking into again.

 But for now I'll just reboot my machines manually soon to deal with the
"dirty pipe".

 Regards,
VZ