lmi

Re: [lmi] Strange new GUI tests failures in the CI builds

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Strange new GUI tests failures in the CI builds
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 02:02:03 +0100

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 01:46:24 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> On 2022-03-05 21:17, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> [...github CI says...]
GC>
GC> > input_sequences: started
GC> > input_sequences: ERROR (Assertion failure: strftime() failed [file
/__w/lmi/lmi/third_party/wx/src/common/datetime.cpp, line 296, in
wxCallStrftime()].)

GC> On a corporate server where I just recreated a new lmi chroot:
GC>   input_sequences: ok
GC> The 'wine' version (retyped from a corporate laptop's screen) is:
GC>   wine-5.0.3 (Debian 5.0.3-3)
GC> whereas you're using wine-6.0.2 for CI (surely from 'sid').

 Yes, but this is the same version I'm using in my local Sid chroot, and
yet the tests pass there. But the amazing thing is that now the tests pass
on GitHub too, even though nothing seems to have changed. Comparing the
logs for package installation between the previous, failing, and the
latest, passing, run there are only a few packages whose versions have
changed and none of them seems to be related to the problem. The only one
which just might be is libz-mingw-w64, but its version has changed from
1.2.11+dfsg-3 to 1.2.11+dfsg-4, i.e. there shouldn't be any real changes in
it neither.

 I guess I'll just have to accept that I'll never know the reasons for this
failure, but it looks that Debian "unstable" is somehow even more unstable
than could be expected.

 The only question possibly remaining here is whether you think it could be
useful to store the binaries compiled by the CI builds (for some time, the
so called "artefacts" have a limited lifetime (90 days, I believe) on
GitHub Actions), e.g. for testing them locally later. I've already looked
at it and it would be simple to do, but I don't need to do it right now,
finally, as my very first run, when I finally decided to debug this in
depth, has passed instead of failing as it did during the 3 previous times.

 Sorry for the waste of time,
VZ