lmi

Re: [lmi] Uniquification of '....'

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Uniquification of '....'
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:32:35 +0000

On 4/29/21 10:52 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 22:28:31 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
[...]
> GC> > Running path_utility_test:
> GC> >
> GC> > ???? test failed:   '...-20210428T115328Z.' == '....'
> GC> > [file /opt/lmi/src/lmi/path_utility_test.cpp, line 302]
> GC>
> GC> Now that I think about this, I wonder if that failure indicates
> GC> a need to rework unique_filepath().
>
>  I don't think there is any _need_ to rework it, AFAICS it still works as
> fine as it ever did, but it could probably indeed be improved.
[...]
> GC> Here's a second thought. Reconsidering the two lines quoted
> GC> above, before "and if that throws", do we really need a
> GC> try...catch here in this code now?
>
>  No, we definitely could improve this. I did think about it but, as often,
> decided to keep the changes as minimal as possible for now.

That's perfectly appropriate.

Now that I've gone through everything in detail once, I've made
some notes on mostly non-minimal things I'd like to tackle; and...

> Please let me know if you'd like me to produce a patch along these
> lines or if you're going to update the function yourself -- which might be
> preferable because I'm not completely sure I understand your requirements
> for it and so my patch might not satisfy them.

...yes, it's probably better for us to swap roles now:
I'll make some changes, and ask you to review them.
This will take me a while.