lmi

Re: [lmi] Can't get GUI test to run for pc-linux-gnu

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Can't get GUI test to run for pc-linux-gnu
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 01:18:00 +0200

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 21:19:54 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 4/10/21 8:14 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 00:45:07 +0000 Greg Chicares
<gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> How strange this seems, each time I ponder it. But I don't want to
GC> distract you from fixing the problem; I'm sure I'll learn soon enough.

 Concerning my own statement, there is not much to learn, unfortunately.
The only missing piece of information is that I routinely test lmi with the
latest wxWidgets version, rather than the one that used to be present in
install_wx.sh and is now recorded as part of Git repository, in the wx
submodule. So when the tests did pass for me, I must have been running them
with an older wx version, with which they did work, but then later this got
broken.

 Moreover, I know exactly when this happened too, as I've applied the
relevant patch, which fixed a lot of problems in wx own test suite, but
broke lmi one, by changing the sequence of the event processing, myself.
And if it seems very stupid that I didn't think to test that patch with lmi
before merging it, it's just because that it indeed was, and I clearly
should have done it.

 Of course, this doesn't explain what has changed for you, but here I don't
have enough information, i.e. I just don't know when did this test pass, so
I'm afraid I can't say anything useful.

GC> Any time except during July.

 Great, thanks a lot, this is as perfect an answer as I could have hoped
for.

GC> What's really most important to us is to upgrade wx once only.

 Yes, this is perfectly understandable. My plan would be to do it at the
end of May or maybe the very beginning of June then, as this would give me
time to collect bug reports and, hopefully, bug fixes after wx 3.1.5
release which is planned to happen in a couple of days, but still leave
enough time for testing lmi until July. This would also mean that lmi will
be using something quite close to wx 3.2.0, which doesn't really change
that much in practice, but seems nice.

 Please let me know if you have any objections to this,
VZ