lmi

Re: [lmi] Should lmi use an xml catalog resolver?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should lmi use an xml catalog resolver?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:51:42 +0200

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
GC> EXSLT/bugs.html:2: warning: failed to load external entity
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
GC>  1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";

   ^
GC> EXSLT/bugs.html:3: validity error : Validation failed: no DTD found !
http-equiv="Content-Type"
GC>                                           ^

 Sorry but how exactly can I reproduce this? I don't see it when running
install_xml_libraries.sh with LMI_TRIPLET=i686-w64-mingw32 and I don't see
it when building libxslt natively neither.

 I'd expect to see such messages while running tests, but "make check"
doesn't work for me at all when cross-compiling (not sure if it's worth
fixing this?). So I just couldn't find any way to see the errors so far.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37242391/xmllint-fails-to-validate-xhtml-1-0-transitional-file/37243359#37243359
GC> | It seems the simplest workaround is:
GC> | $ sudo apt-get install w3c-dtd-xhtml
GC>
GC> but that package seems to be absent from debian since 'jessie',
GC> i.e., 'oldoldstable'.
GC>
GC> I can download the DTD myself:
GC>
GC> wget https://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
GC>
GC> but I gather that I need to place it in an xml catalog resolver
GC> somehow, so that a cached local copy is always used instead of
GC> fetching it from the internet. And it looks like libxml2
GC> provides 'xmlcatalog', which sounds promising, so maybe I
GC> already have all the pieces and merely lack the magic glue
GC> that binds them together. Vadim, can you lead me out of this
GC> quandary?

 I do vaguely remember using xmlcatalog for something similar in the past
(i.e. to create local copies of remote DTDs in order to avoid having to
download them every time), but the details are very fuzzy and I don't want
to waste your time by trying to guide you without being sure what needs to
be done myself. The best would be to reproduce these problems here, then
fix them and only then explain how to do it -- this might contradict the
best practice (only those who can't do should teach), but this would be
more productive.

 So could you please let me know what do I need to do to see this problem?

 Thanks in advance,
VZ