lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH: Building lmi with gcc 10 and C++20

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH: Building lmi with gcc 10 and C++20
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 18:08:19 +0200

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 15:39:34 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> Apparently gcc-10 has moved to 'unstable' just minutes ago,

 Indeed it has, but how have you noticed it so quickly? Do you monitor the
corresponding page of packages.debian.org for changes?

GC> I suppose I'll find that you've already adapted lmi's own code to gcc-10,
GC> but that we'll need to upgrade wx.

 I _think_ that the version of wx currently used by lmi might compile fine
with it already. I had to fix a few things to compile wx with gcc 10 in
C++20 mode, but these were really problems due to C++20 changes, not gcc 10
ones.

GC> I'm surprised to see that 'stable' now has gcc-8.3:
GC>
GC>   https://packages.debian.org/buster/g++-mingw-w64
GC> | Package: g++-mingw-w64 (8.3.0-6+21.3~deb10u1)
GC>
GC> because I thought 'stable' only received security upgrades, and IIRC it
GC> still had gcc-7 when 'buster' became 'stable'.

 I don't quite remember this, but looking at

https://salsa.debian.org/mingw-w64-team/gcc-mingw-w64/-/commits/buster

it doesn't seem like there were any recent changes in this branch. So
perhaps it did have 8.3 from the beginning? I've realized I don't really
know how to check for this, but Buster changelog (which I'm reading from
http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/ChangeLog) doesn't mention
anything about MinGW updates.

GC> There's an update notice today:

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1141612/mingw-w64-700-4-migrated-to-testing/

 Ah, so this is how you keep track about changes to gcc in Sid!

GC> but it doesn't say anything about 'stable'.

 It doesn't seem like the tracker tracks stable.

GC> Anyway, we're still using gcc-8.3 in production, so perhaps we should
GC> just create a 'stable' chroot for now, because testing a wx upgrade
GC> for this month's release would be "a bridge too far".

 I really don't see gcc in stable being updated to 10... And I'm quite sure
that gcc-8 package is not going to be _removed_ from stable, no matter what
(well, never say never, especially in 2020, the year of all the surprises,
but still, something really cataclysmic would need to happen for a package
to be removed from stable, rather than being upgraded).

 Regards,
VZ