lmi

Re: [lmi] "Device or resource busy" resolves itself?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] "Device or resource busy" resolves itself?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 00:45:11 +0100

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 22:58:34 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Vadim--Do you have any insight into this?

 To be painfully honest, no, not really. I do think you should have used
lsof with sudo to find it out (lsof without root permissions doesn't really
work well) and I agree with its advise about fuser (to be run as root too).
IME usually one or the other (and typically both) of these tools would be
enough to diagnose the problem.

GC> I was stuck with
GC>   Device or resource busy
GC> on our corporate redhat server; then, soon after I had begun
GC> to despair, the problem silently resolved itself. I wonder:
GC>  - Is that normal?

 It does seem strange that it resolved on its own. This must mean that
either some process was still running when you tried unmounting it first
and this process terminated of its own volition later or that it was locked
by some daemon that released this lock. The latter is possible with e.g.
Samba, but I don't think your server is running it or any equivalent. So
it's probably the former, but I have no idea which process it could have
been. Something launched by WINE in the background perhaps? But it's just
pure speculation.

GC>  - What should I do if the problem occurs again and doesn't
GC>    go away on its own?

 Use "sudo lsof" and kill the process using the path. Killing it gently, if
possible, is preferable, of course. I don't like using "kill -9" unless
it's really necessary, although it's probably less of a problem with a
system you can always reboot if anything starts to misbehave.

 Sorry but I don't have any real ideas beyond the general advice above,
VZ