lmi

Re: [lmi] vim as root: "No protocol specified"

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] vim as root: "No protocol specified"
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 21:36:23 +0000

On 2019-10-01 18:17, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 16:57:15 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...snip problem mentioned in subject...]

>  I've never seen this problem, possibly because I don't use Wayland yet,

Wayland seemed necessary when I upgraded to debian 'bullseye'.
Without it, video looked okay at first, but then became barely
legible (it looked like a catastrophic loss of color depth,
like trying to use an old sixteen-color CGA monitor) after
certain events:
 - whenever the xfce screensaver kicked in, which is easily
   addressed by inhibiting it (I rarely walk away from the
   computer; when I do, I turn the monitor off; and no
   malefactor can just walk in because of Ugolyok)
 - whenever I switched to one of the other consoles, e.g.,
   with alt-shift-F2, which is too useful to give up.
This issue may be particular to my passively cooled,
old-school video hardware:

ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP), Radeon™ HD 5450 650MHz, 1GB GDDR3
800MHz, PCIe x16, DVI+HDMI+VGA, Full-height/Low-profile

combined with xfce. I'm not going to try to find the reason,
because enabling wayland solves the problem.

>  BTW, I wonder how does DISPLAY end up being set for you but not
> XAUTHORITY?

That's simply because I use this .zshrc:
  https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lmi.git/tree/gwc/.zshrc
for all users, including root; and it happens to specify
DISPLAY but not XAUTHORITY. Why? Simply because DISPLAY
was needed to run lmi's GUI in a chroot. 'schroot' tries
to pass very little of the host's environment into a
chroot, and it certainly doesn't pass DISPLAY. I never
mount the host's /home in a chroot:
  $ls -di /
  786435 /
  $ls /home/greg/.Xauthority
  ls: cannot access '/home/greg/.Xauthority': No such file or directory
so that must become available for some automatic reason
unknown to me--maybe simply because I use the same user
name in the chroot.