lmi

[lmi] Should we allow the user to selectively hide columns in the new ce

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] Should we allow the user to selectively hide columns in the new census view?
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 15:12:11 +0200

 Hello,

 When using wxGrid with the native header control under MSW (which we do,
because the native header looks nicer and, well, more native), the user can
right click the header and use the resulting popup menu to hide (or show
back) the different columns (if you'd like to see how it looks, just right
click the column header in Explorer view of, say, "Computer").

 As this is something that can't be done with the current, wxDVC-based,
census editor, we initially decided to forbid doing it with the new editor
too. However now I'm starting to have second thoughts, because I wonder if
this could potentially be actually useful? AFAIU the census editor shows
the columns for all the fields differing between the cells, but wouldn't it
be possible for the field to differ, but not be actually be interesting for
the user? In such case, it could make sense to hide the uninteresting
column, couldn't it?

 So the question is: do we want to let the user to do it if they wish? It's
not very important, but if the answer is already obvious to you, I'd
appreciate if you could please share it, because I just can't make up my
mind on my own.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ

P.S. Note that if we do want to have this functionality, we'd have to
     implement it in wxGrid itself for non-MSW platforms (while if we
     don't, we'd still need to modify wxGrid to allow disabling it for the
     native headers under MSW, but this is trivial to do).