lmi

Re: [lmi] Enabling '-Wconversion'...and std::filesystem? [Was: PATCH: si

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Enabling '-Wconversion'...and std::filesystem? [Was: PATCH: simplify attachment page handling]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 22:18:09 +0200

On Wed, 30 May 2018 18:35:11 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> Is your 'std-filesystem' branch just a work in progress, or is it ready to
GC> apply?

 Sorry for failing to mention this, but it's very much a work in progress
and, actually, I had put it aside to concentrate on other things, so I
didn't touch it since a month or so. It's not at all ready for merging yet.

GC> I don't see it mentioned here:
GC>   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pulls
GC> or in the archives of this mailing list, but I do see it in my git remote
GC> that corresponds to your github repository. And I find headers like this:
GC>   /usr/include/c++/7/experimental/bits/fs_path.h
GC> so maybe the compiler supports it now.

 FWIW MinGW 8.1 is already available (and I did the work to make wxWidgets
compilable with it without tons of new warnings, notably in the headers,
that are now part of either -Wall or -Wextra) and it has std::filesystem
and not only std::experimental::filesystem. With the way the last couple of
compile went -- i.e. pretty smoothly -- we might want to upgrade to it
before switching to std::filesystem.

GC> >  BTW, I'll also need to correct the (tons of) remaining -Wconversion
GC> > warnings in wxWidgets headers if you want to do this for all lmi files as
GC> > there are still plenty of them left, I don't know why did the message
GC> > linked to above only mentions the couple of warnings about double-to-int
GC> > casts when g++ 7 gives a couple of dozens more of them for casts from long
GC> > to int in the same header.
GC>
GC> I haven't thought about building wx itself with '-Wconversion'.

 Just to be clear, I'm not speaking about this.

GC> AFAICT, enabling that warning for building lmi doesn't identify any
GC> problem with included wx headers.

 It does. I don't know if this has changed with gcc 7 (this would be simple
to test but, to be honest, do we really care...), but using -Wconversion
with wx/gdicmn.h (which is included by just about all GUI wxWidgets
headers) does result in many warnings. Now that I think about it, it might
only happen in 64 bits, I don't think I tested it in 32 bits. But we'd
still presumably want to fix this even then, wouldn't we?

 Regards,
VZ