lmi

Re: [lmi] Failing tests and Git

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Failing tests and Git
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 22:12:40 +0000

On 2018-03-19 14:47, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 13:47:51 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC>   # Commit to a digressionary branch...
> GC>
> GC>   # See:
> GC>   #   https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2018-03/msg00082.html
> GC>   # Use consecutive branch names 'q[0-9]\{5}', i.e., q00000-q99999
> GC>   # Rationale:
> GC>   #   - in English words, initial 'q' is almost always followed by 'u'
> GC>   #   - 10000 such names should be enough for lmi's lifetime
>
>  I can't say I like the idea of using intentionally cryptic names for the
> branches though, what possible purpose could this serve? I don't really
> understand what purpose does this "qNNNN" have at all, but if we need to
> use it, could it perhaps be followed by some meaningful part, e.g.
> "q00001-failing-floor-tests"? I still think that "test/failing-floor" would
> be an even better name for this branch, however...

You suggested establishing a naming convention:

  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2018-03/msg00081.html
| GC> [...something interesting from my sandbox...] Vadim, would
| GC> it be in poor taste to commit something like this to the
| GC> savannah repository as a forlorn branch, to be abandoned
| GC> immediately after committing it?
|
|  I certainly don't see anything wrong with it, but it might be nice to
| establish some naming conventions for the long-lived branches. E.g. you
| could prefix its name with "experiment/" or "test/" or whatever else you
| prefer (you could also namespace it further by using "gwc/" if you'd like).
| The branch names don't matter for Git (as long as they don't conflict with
| one of the predefined names such as "HEAD"), but it could be nice for human
| users of the repository.

so I figured I'd pick a convention unlikely to collide with any
name you would ever wish to use. In that sense I succeeded.

But now I've read more about it, I'll use an 'odd/' prefix and
a descriptive name. I've already pushed such a commit.