lmi

Re: [lmi] konsole clipboard stopped working (fixed)

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] konsole clipboard stopped working (fixed)
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 18:23:10 +0100

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:44:02 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-11-02 13:04, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 12:40:19 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > and I wonder about the use of
GC> > "git remote update" at
GC> > http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lmi.git/tree/tabs/1/startup_script#n6
GC> > What is it for?
GC>
GC> Here's the history:
GC>
GC> $git log --patch -G'remote' gwc/develop1.txt
GC> [...]
GC> -svn status --show-updates
GC> -svn update
GC> +git remote -v update
GC> +git pull
GC>
GC> Back in svn days, I ran
GC>   svn status --show-updates

 I don't remember what did this variant of "svn status" do exactly, but I'm
almost sure that "git remote update" doesn't do the same thing as it
doesn't actually show anything. Of course, it absolutely doesn't hurt to
run it in any case, although personally I prefer "git fetch --all" (which
is its exact synonym AFAICS) that I find more clear.

GC> >  And while I was writing this, I received the email about your commit
GC> > 3df3e622be691da20f5a38dcd19700b0f62998f3 ("Synchronize more than one
recent
GC> > commit to local mirror") which addresses my other question. However I
still
GC> > question the use of HEAD~5 in the script, might you really want to use
GC> > address@hidden, i.e. the previous value of the HEAD pointer before it was
changed
GC> > by the subsequent command (git pull) instead?
GC>
GC> I had no idea that any such syntax as 'address@hidden' existed. But now,
GC> comparing 'git reflog' in my working copy vs. my mirror, I see that
GC> it does exactly what I want, so I'll update 3df3e62. Thanks.

 You don't need to use reflog often, but when you do, it's surprisingly
useful, especially for someone not as accurate with one's work organization
as you (how did you know I was speaking from personal experience?).

GC> > GC> These scripts are clunky, but tiny and comprehensible, so I prefer
them
GC> > GC> to tmux or gnu screen.
GC> >
GC> >  FWIW screen is pretty similar
GC>
GC> Yet screen's HTML manual is 352Kb and it has
GC>   https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=screen
GC> 237 open defects. Sure, screen and tmux would let me show multiple
GC> text windows, but I can comfortably see only 24x80 anyway, so I
GC> always work with a single maximized window anyway.

 While tmux can tile multiple windows, screen "windows" are actually always
full screen. If screen were written today, instead of 30 (?) years ago,
they would have been called "tabs".

 Also, comfortably switching windows from keyboard (without having to learn
the different keyboard shortcuts provided by different terminal emulators,
when they even bother to provide them) is just part of the fun. Copy and
pasting text (inside or between windows) using just the keyboard is
something I'd have real trouble living without, and I don't think common
terminal emulators provide this. Screen is not as life-changing as the
other members of my personal holy trinity (zsh, Vim, Git), but the
combination of multiple windows, hangup survival and operations such as
searching, copying and pasting from keyboard still makes it very, very
useful.

 Regards,
VZ