lmi

[lmi] Updating gcc without updating cygwin

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Updating gcc without updating cygwin
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:22:30 +0000

It's never a good time to update a rolling distribution like
cygwin, but it's especially inopportune when their server
is misbehaving:
  https://www.sourceware.org/ml/overseers/2017-q3/msg00060.html
yet we do want to update gcc now. This shouldn't matter much
because, for cygwin, we're using a native binary obtained
from MinGW-w64, not from cygwin. However, because we're not
running 'install_cygwin.bat', we have to change the mount
table manually:

sed -e 's/4_9_1/6_3_0/' -i /etc/fstab

and then close every cygwin application, because they all
share a DLL that maintains the active mount table. (In
theory, 'mount -a' would update the mounts, but I tried that
and it didn't work.)

Then open a cygwin terminal and run 'mount' with no
argument. You should see:

C:/opt/lmi/MinGW-6_3_0 on /MinGW_ type ntfs (binary,user)

and there should be no 'MinGW-4_9_1' line. (If that's not
what you see, then some cygwin application was left open;
if you can't readily find it, just reboot msw.)