lmi

Re: [lmi] Improving usability of automated tests

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Improving usability of automated tests
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 17:28:49 +0100

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 01:59:02 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2017-01-13 23:30, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > /opt/lmi/src/lmi[0]$make $coefficiency unit_tests >../log 2>&1
GC> > /opt/lmi/src/lmi[0]$sed -f diagnostics.sed ../log 2>&1 |less -S
GC> > [and searching for '\*\*' therein, excluding the test-framework test]
GC>
GC> s/, excluding.*[]]/d
GC>
GC> commit 453051202f5bd5d4683b825f0a7cf429445823e2
GC>
GC> It may seem like only slight incremental progress, but it removes
GC> a step that required manual activity and thought, and I run the
GC> unit tests many times every day.

 Do I understand correctly that I can now check for the unit test failures
just by searching for "***"? Or do I need to still filter out make errors
using diagnostics.sed? If so, perhaps we could use another marker for lmi
test failures, e.g. "!!!", to make it even easier?

 In any case, I definitely agree, getting rid of realistically looking
bogus errors from the test-framework test is a very nice improvement, thank
you!

GC> I haven't forgotten about
GC>   https://github.com/vadz/lmi/issues/53
GC> but I really want to finish the input sequence work first.

 No problem at all, I still need to return to it to look at the other test
failures in more details. And I didn't forget about "make the GUI test clean
up its accidental artifacts" part of the pact neither, but didn't actually
do anything about it just yet.

 Regards,
VZ