lmi

Re: [lmi] Re-make a running program --> wine pagefault?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Re-make a running program --> wine pagefault?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:21:44 +0100

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:19:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> I guess I haven't done this yet in wine...but a few moments ago I rebuilt
GC> lmi while lmi was running. In native msw, the link would fail because the
GC> program is running; but in my cross-building chroot, it seems that the
GC> already-running instance abended, and the binary was replaced. I guess
GC> that makes sense--this linker:
GC>   $file /usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld
GC>   /usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, [...]
GC> wouldn't be aware that wine is running the 32-bit PE executable that
GC> the linker wants to write.

 FWIW I think it would be better if Wine locked any executable file it's
running to prevent it from being written to, but I guess this is easier
said than done (I have a Pavlovian conditioning of always assuming that
anything related to Unix locking is horribly difficult), so I would
understand if Wine folks were not really motivated in doing anything about
this, as it shouldn't affect normal users very often.

 Regards,
VZ