lmi

Re: [lmi] Missing system directories in chroot [Was: Creating a chroot f

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Missing system directories in chroot [Was: Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:50:01 +0000

On 2016-09-23 14:17, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 22:14:05 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
> GC> On 2016-09-16 23:22, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
[...]
> GC> BTW, I tried making a "plain" debian 'sid' chroot in a similar way, but
> GC> that seems not to work, at least not without further tweaking:
>
>  Sorry, I'm not sure to understand if you managed to make it work, by
> rerunning debootstrap several times, or still failed?

'debootstrap --make-tarball' worked on the third try (the first two tries
received a truncated GPG key).

'debootstrap --unpack-tarball' worked without any problem.

'apt-get update' failed. I probably could have made it work by creating
an '_apt' user.

> Would you like me to
> try creating a sid chroot (I already have one, but it was created a long
> time ago)?

No, thanks. The only reason I even tried with 'sid' was to validate the
debootstrap *tarball commands: they worked for 'jessie', but I had run
various debootstrap commands for 'jessie' so many times that I wanted to
make sure that the final *tarball commands were alone sufficient and
didn't depend on any artifact left over from some other command. I was
able to accomplish that purpose.

Besides, there's no '_apt' user on my 'wheezy' (oldstable) host, so it
could be that the same commands would work okay on your 'jessie' (stable)
host.

> GC> Oh, and if .git/config contains
> GC>   [remote "origin"]
> GC>     url = git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/lmi.git
> GC> instead of "address@hidden:/srv/git/lmi.git", and ~/.ssh/ contains only
> GC> DSA keys that savannah no longer accepts, then every git command except
> GC> 'push' will work, but 'push' will give "connection reset by peer".
>
>  How nice. I understand there are good reasons for dropping support for DSA
> keys but a better error message would have been really helpful.

Well, to be scrupulously fair, it did further inform me:
but it would have been truly helpful if it had suggested, e.g., this:

>  It's surely too late to be helpful, but the first thing I do in case of
> problems with git network operations is to set GIT_SSH to "ssh-v" where
>
>       % cat ~/bin/ssh-v
>       #!/bin/sh
>       exec /usr/bin/ssh -v "$@"

but I did do this:
  ssh -vT git.savannah.nongnu.org
which told me, in relevant part:
  debug1: Connecting to git.savannah.nongnu.org [208.118.235.72] port 22.
(thus, port 22 is open)
  debug1: identity file /home/greg/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
  debug1: key_load_public: No such file or directory
(there was no RSA key).