lmi

Re: [lmi] Missing system directories in chroot [Was: Creating a chroot f

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Missing system directories in chroot [Was: Creating a chroot for cross-building lmi]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:36:39 +0200

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 15:46:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-09-08 22:06, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > 1. As I said before, I think you do need to mount /dev/pts because many
GC> > programs risk to fail mysteriously if PTYs don't work. This can be done
GC> > manually using "mount -o bind -t devpts /dev/pts devpts".

 Sorry, I exchanged the order of mount parameters here. The correct command
is

        [chroot]# mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

from inside chroot or

        [main]# mount -o bind /dev/pts /full/path/to/chroot/dev/pts

from outside of it. You do need to be root in any case, of course.

GC> Do I need to install udev first?

 No, not at all, udev is only useful for dynamic device configuration and
is not used (AFAIK) at all for pseudo TTYs.

GC> >  I have no idea where is this coming from, especially DK for the time
GC> > format. I just use "LC_ALL=C.UTF-8" and set "LANG" to the same value.
GC>
GC> Thanks, I'll try that. BTW, en_DK for LC_TIME is a workaround to make
GC> icedove (thunderbird) use a ISO8601 date format (because 2013-11-12 is
GC> sensible, while 11/12/2013 is not). The DK trick is even mentioned in
GC> the Arch Linux documentation:
GC>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/locale

 Ah, I didn't know about it, thanks. I just trained myself to use "date
+%F" instead.

 Sorry again for the confusion with mount,
VZ