lmi

Re: [lmi] Converting a proprietary svn repository to git

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Converting a proprietary svn repository to git
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:58:35 +0000

On 2016-02-29 17:28, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

[...the problem described arises from a deliberate behavior change
between git versions...]

> GC> I think I've found the point where it fails, but why is 'origin/'
> GC> prepended to 'trunk' on Cygwin, and what's the right way to fix it?
>
>  The way to fix it is to use --prefix "" (I'm not sure if it's supported
> by the old version however, it could be, but I didn't test it) but, again,
> it might be better to just explicitly use something like --prefix=svn for
> both the new and old versions and update the script accordingly.

Okay, I'll proceed that way.

Because this is a one-way, permanent conversion, I think I'll stop trying
to make it work on two different platforms, and just take the successfully-
converted new git repository from GNU/Linux and move it to msw. And I guess
that answers the question in the email I just sent: given

  svn --> git (A) 67MB --> bare git (B) 2.7MB --> (C) final git 28MB
     clone             push                  clone

I'll delete (A), share (B) with Kim, and use (C); and Kim can clone her copy
of (B) to produce her own working copy C'. As long as the sha1sum of HEAD
matches in C and C', our working copies (including all their history) are as
a practical matter guaranteed to match perfectly. And we'll never have to
share copies of the whole thing again.