lmi

Re: [lmi] select tables terminology (was: Stylistic question about const

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] select tables terminology (was: Stylistic question about constructing error messages)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 01:58:31 +0100

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:41:11 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-02-13 23:56, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 23:02:13 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> select tables...not consecutive: Do you simply mean that they're
select
GC> > GC> and ultimate, e.g.
GC> > GC>
GC> > GC>   ---select-- ult.
GC> > GC>   a0 a1 a2 a3  x4
GC> > GC>   b1 b2 b3 b4  x5
GC> > GC>   c2 c3 c4 c5  x6
GC> > GC>                x7
GC> [...]
GC> >  Sorry, I was speaking about the ages: if you remember, we decided that
the
GC> > code had to check that they're consecutive, but this is not actually the
GC> > case for the ages in the first column of select tables as there is a jump
GC> > of select_period after max_select_age (generally speaking; there is no
jump
GC> > if max_select_age + select_period == max_age).
GC>
GC> In my example above, arbitrarily assuming minimum age to be zero:
GC>  - select ages are in [0,2]
GC>  - select period is 4 years
GC>  - maximum age is eight
GC> so
GC>   2 + 4 < 8
GC> and if we write the ages around three sides of the table:
GC>
GC>     0  1  2  3     /
GC>    ---select-- ult.
GC> 0  a0 a1 a2 a3 x4  4
GC> 1  b1 b2 b3 b4 x5  5
GC> 2  c2 c3 c4 c5 x6  6
GC> 7              x7  7
GC>
GC> then they proceed consecutively across the top and then down the right side;
GC> but the left side has a jump.

 Sorry to bother you again, but I just wanted to ask if there are any
established terms for the different parts of the table above, i.e.:

- The 0..3 in the header row (I just call them "column#" and "ultimate
  column label")?

- The ages on the right hand side of the column (4..7) (which I inventively
  call "right hand side age")?

- If there is a term for the RHS ages, should some special term be also
  used for the LHS ones?

 I'm asking about this mostly to make the error messages more clear and,
possibly, also to make things more clear in the code comments as well.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ