lmi

[lmi] Possible bug with configurable_settings and --data_path option

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: [lmi] Possible bug with configurable_settings and --data_path option
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 22:11:23 +0100

 Hello,

 This is a minor problem, which is probably not very important in practice,
but I just wanted to describe it here for future reference in case anybody
else (or maybe I myself, after forgetting everything about this) runs into
it again.

 So, the bug happens if:

1. The file /etc/opt/lmi/configurable_settings.xml doesn't exist.
2. The --data_path option is used on the command line.

Then, and, AFAICS, contrary to the expectations, the program looks for the
file configurable_settings.xml in the current directory and not in the
directory specified by the --data_path option.

 This happens because configurable_settings object is initialized before
the command line option processing takes places. To be precise, it
is instantiated by MswDllPreloader::PreloadDesignatedDlls() which is itself
called before wxEntry() (both in the main application and in the GUI test).

 Does MswDllPreloader::PreloadDesignatedDlls() really need to be called at
this early stage? If this isn't a hard requirement, I could provide a
simple patch postponing the call to it until the command line options are
parsed, but if it is I don't see any way to fix this easily and so, taking
into account that it's not really a big problem in practice, I won't try to
fix this in the latter case.

 Regards,
VZ