lmi

Re: [lmi] Strange LMI installation failure under Windows 7 SP1: /cache_f

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Strange LMI installation failure under Windows 7 SP1: /cache_for_lmi/downloads not found
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 00:45:33 +0000

On 2014-10-04 22:13Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>  First of al, sorry for the long and rambling email

I kind of felt the same way about my own email that you're answering.
But the real problem--and its solution--could be found only by going
down this long, hard road. And the people in my office are using some
"improved" version like msw7 that probably has this problem; I suppose
they haven't seen it yet because they rarely need to run it.

> On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 15:53:27 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> GC> Then 'install_cygwin.bat' is run in that CMD session; one of its
> GC> commands is:
> GC>
> GC> echo C:/cache_for_lmi          /cache_for_lmi lmi_specific binary,user 0
> 0 >> fstab
>
>  The problem is here: "echo" writes to the wrong fstab.

Impossible. Absurd. But correct.

>  And this happens because "start /wait" command doesn't actually wait until
> the end of the Cygwin installation and because of this the line "cd
> C:\cygwin-lmi\etc" tries to change to the non-existent directory, fails and
> so the subsequent echoes write to the wrong file.
[...]
> It took me some time to find the reason for this weird behaviour, but
> finally it turns out that this is due to something weird that Cygwin setup
> program does: it seems to detect dynamically whether it needs to run with
> "elevated" (i.e. administrator) rights or not and displays the UAC ("User
> Account Control") dialog if it does

Yes, I was passively aware of that...but not of this:

> and, crucially, launches another copy
> of itself with elevated credentials when it's accepted. Because of this,
> "start /wait" exits as soon as UAC dialog is accepted and not when the
> setup really ends.

Wow.

>  And this also gives the solution, or even two of them: we can use either
> -B/--no-admin or -W/--wait option of Cygwin setup.

Okay, we can use either of those.

>  The only remaining question is whether --wait or --no-admin should be
> used. They both work in the sense that "start /wait" really waits for setup
> to finish if either option is used, however they do quite different things:
> the first one preserves the current behaviour, i.e. UAC dialog will still
> be shown, and the process showing it will launch another version of setup,
> but will just wait for its termination.

Then that's an innocuous change that simply restores the intended behavior.

> While with --no-admin, UAC won't be
> used at all, which means that installing would only work for the current
> user and not all users.

I don't know what user accounts my coworkers use, but this sounds less good.

>  My suggestion is to add --wait option for now as this won't change
> anything at all, other than fixing the problem at hand. But if you also
> want to allow users without administrative permissions to install LMI on
> Vista and later versions of Windows, then you want to use --no-admin
> instead.

Kim, can you test this on some machine other than the one you use daily?
I'll commit a change this weekend that adds '--wait', so that you can
tell whether your privilege level is adequate for that to work. If not,
then I'll change it to '--no-admin'.