lmi

[lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider (was: wx-2.8.7: long m

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider (was: wx-2.8.7: long menuitem truncated)
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:19:13 +0200

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 20:29 +0100, Vaclav Slavik wrote:
> > But in this case I think the smart thing is to ask whether you would
> > pick the best solution and implement it, because it's beyond my wx
> > expertise.
>
> I'll think about it, but I'm indeed leaning towards custom
> wxArtProvider.

And that's what I finally did. I uploaded the patch to Savannah, because
part of it is 30kB tarball with PNGs:

    https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/index.php?6597

I converted all GNOME icons to PNGs with alpha channel and both 24x24
and 16x16 sizes, but I didn't touch LMI-specific icons. Unfortunately,
leaving them as-is is not very usable: in addition to looking out of
place because of missing alpha channel (as discussed here), they don't
scale down to 16x16 well and this makes their use in menus ugly:
http://tinyurl.com/6pzfsu

So we need to update these icons too, both to use alpha channel and to
have 16x16 variants. The former means "simply" replicating your
modifications to GNOME icons they are derived from (having access to
icon files split into individual layers would be useful here, if they
still exist somewhere).

The latter is more tricky, because these custom icons are very detailed
and differ only in small details, which is something that is bound to be
even less recognizable in 16x16 size.

Should I update the icons, or do you prefer to do it yourself (for some
value of "you")?

Also, on a somewhat related note, should we convert the rest of XPM
icons (not used in menus and toolbars) in use to PNGs for consistency,
or do you prefer to leave them as they are?

Thanks,
Vaclav