lmi

Re[2]: [lmi] testing e_yes_or_no values

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re[2]: [lmi] testing e_yes_or_no values
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 19:47:35 +0200

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:33:53 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2008-07-12 19:43Z, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > On 2008-07-12 17:34Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >>
GC> >>  Are the values of e_yes_or_no type supposed to be handled as boolean
GC> >> values? IOW what is the correct way to test for their truthfulness?
GC> [...]
GC> > I'm working on an urgent matter this weekend, so I can't examine
GC> > your patch today.
GC>
GC> Vadim--That urgent matter set us way back. Now I've returned to
GC> the important work I was doing, which is as simple and forgiving
GC> as a face transplant, so don't be surprised if I can't get to
GC> your patch until September.

 Pity but thanks for letting me know, at least know that I shouldn't wait
for integration of my MSVC patches.

GC> Do ponder this comment elsewhere, though:
GC>
GC> // TODO ?? WX PORT !! Huh? A yes-no radiobox, instead of a checkbox?
GC> // This doesn't seem to be in the legacy interface.
GC>
GC> and consider whether a radiobox like this:
GC>
GC>   Elect some particular behavior
GC>   -------
GC>   (o) No
GC>   ( ) Yes
GC>
GC> is better than a checkbox like this:
GC>
GC>   [X] Elect some particular behavior

 I don't know if you were asking for my opinion about this but I'll give it
anyhow :-)

 The first, obvious, answer would be to use the checkbox, of course. It's a
more straightforward choice, it takes less of space on the screen and while
the ease of use of the both controls is the same using mouse, a checkbox is
more convenient to use from the keyboard.

 But thinking more about it I think there can be some situations when a
2 element radio box could be preferable. The most important reason for it
would be consistency: e.g. if radio boxes are used for other, similar,
choices, especially maybe ones of the form "(x) Yes ( ) No ( ) Maybe" (i.e.
a superset of choices in this one), then it could be better to use one here
too to avoid surprising the user.

 Another reason is a situation when it would be useful to explain in more
details what "Yes" and "No" mean because a radio box allows to give
separate (and more detailed) descriptions for each of the choices.

 To summarize, a checkbox should be used if the question is straightforward
and using it introduces no glaring inconsistency in the UI. For less clear
questions a radio box might be a better choice.

 Regards,
VZ