listhelper-moderate

bug-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval

From: bug-gnu-emacs-owner
Subject: bug-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:49:25 -0400

following mailing list posting:

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: Re: address@hidden: ediff problem with
longlines-show-hard-newlines]

At your convenience, visit:

    http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admindb/bug-gnu-emacs

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: address@hidden: ediff problem with longlines-show-hard-newlines] Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:49:13 -0400
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:14:16 +0100
> From: Andreas Amann <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: ediff problem with longlines-show-hard-newlines
>

> entering ediff-buffers and leaving it immediately sets the modified
> flags of the visited buffers, even if no editing was done. This only
> happens if longlines-show-hard-newlines is set to true.
>

> Minimal test case:
> >cat ~/.emacs
> (require 'longlines)
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (longlines-mode 1)))
> (setq longlines-show-hard-newlines t)
>
> >cat testcase_ediff.txt
> A C
>
> >cat testcase_ediff2.txt
> A B C
>
> >emacs -no-site-file testcase_ediff.txt testcase_ediff2.txt
> "M-x ediff-buffers" and select the two loaded buffers
> "q" to quit ediff ("yes" to confirm)
>
> now the modified flags "**" are set for both buffers although no
> editing was done.

This is because with your settings:

    (require 'longlines)
    (add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (longlines-mode 1)))
    (setq longlines-show-hard-newlines t)

executing (longlines-mode 0) marks text buffers as modified.

It seems to me a problem with longlines-mode rather than with ediff.

I am copying this to the maintainer of longlines.el for clarifications.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm eb88658a1464fe6679a0fe8aa3d6fa831ab89e74
of the body of the reply.

--- End Message ---