listhelper-discuss

Re: nonmember=reject settings

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: nonmember=reject settings
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:30:49 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> They all have listhelper enabled. Question is, is it worth trying to
> engage the list owners in discussion? (Not to me.) Silently change them
> back to hold? Do nothing? Some of them have explicitly-written messages
> to rejected addresses. Obviously "backscatter" is not in these list
> owners' vocabulary :(.

I think we should reset any list that has set a reject action and set
them back to hold.  I think this should be done routinely as by cron
so that it is done automatically.  That way if new lists pop up then
we will find them as they occur and take corrective action.

As to discussing with the owners who made that setting I think this is
more of an education item.  They don't know what they don't know.  And
the problem it creates is global in scope and affects everyone.
Therefore I think it must be actively enforced.  The cron probably
should send them some automated text that points them to a web page
that we could keep updated with education and reasons for what
backscatter spam is and the problems it causes.  I don't know if
something like that already exists.

Thanks for finding these.  How would we go about automating the
correction of this bad configuration?

Bob