listhelper-discuss

Re: mistaken debbugs-submit discard

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: mistaken debbugs-submit discard
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:51:36 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> It was originally (correctly :) classified as nonspam in listhelper.
> First I accidentally hit S(spam), but then I noticed my mistake and I
> immediately retrained it as ham.  Then I quickly (before listhelper had
> a chance to act in any way) went to bug-coreutils, but the pending queue
> was already empty.

I give 6 minutes in find to process miss-classified messages.

  for f in $(find Mail/spam-new/new Mail/spam-new/cur -ignore_readdir_race
-type f ! -newerct "6 minutes ago" -print); do

That actually isn't much time.  Easy to get delayed for a few minutes
and never notice it.  But I didn't want to make it too long because
that is a direct delay on discarding spam from the hold queue.  But
maybe I should make it ten minutes.

> I believe the subject "join" would be automatically considered to be
> administrivia by mailman (not listhelper/spamassassin), but that would
> only cause it to be in the pending queue, not deleted.

I have often seen subjects and contents that I think should be trapped
by Mailman as subscription requests and a very few times they are but
most of the time Mailman doesn't recognize them.  I have no idea why.

> So I don't understand.  Where/how did you see it such that it was
> discarded as spam?  Is there any trace of where/how it got discarded?

I can only imagine that there was a delay, it wouldn't take much for
me to get distracted, and that caused this to be processed before
racing over to the web page.

I usually race over to the spam-new mailbox and delete it from there.

  mutt -f =spam-new

Should I add that as a mailbox so that you can get there with 'c' and
then space, space, space until it shows up, enter?

Bob