liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] liquid wars

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] liquid wars
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:19:13 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 04:35:28PM +0200, Damjan Lango wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried your game and played it with friends and find it very funny, but
> the only map that we like is the bean because it does not have any
> obstacles. Maybe it would be good if the cursor could be moved over
> obstacles, this way it would be easier to control the game... At least
> make it a configurable option!?
1st point: there are other "empty" maps, such as "Empty" or "Void" 8-)

2nd point: it seems you don't like to be stuck in corners, right?
I understand your point of view, and have had many
discussions on that point. To be honest, I sincerely believe
that the fact that the cursor can't "walk through the walls"
is really part of the gameplay. Allowing this would _really_
change the way to play LW, and IMHO remove lot of fun. The
point in LW is to find the right path, the right place. And
if you made the wrong choice -> you loose and you can feel
you're loosing/winning for a long long time. I just love
this!
Another reason is that allowing this would probably induce errors - or
at least great imprecisions - in the core algorithm which calculates the
shortest distance from one point to another.
Another reason (technical again) is that I would probably need to change
stuff at a network level, which is rather boring.
Another reason (personnal taste) is that such a feature would probably
appeal another feature -> handle the cursor directly with the mouse, and
move it very fast. This is also tricky to implement. And I extremely
dislike to give any sort of advantage to mouse users over keyboard
users. I'm a keyboard addict, mouses suck!

As a conclusion, I'd say that
- the idea is good, and even if I personnally do not really like it, I
  understand that some people are interested by such a feature, and
  would be ready to implement it if it was easy.
- it's not easy to implement, therefore it's not scheduled for 5.5.2 8-)

What I think is that "some day" I'll re-design the whole game and at
this occasion I'll implement a bunch of missing features, among them:
- several cursors for one team
- zones where fighters go slower/faster
- and the feature you mentionned!

Have a good day.