[Linphone-users] backport built for Debian 10 (buster), but...

From: Dennis Filder
Subject: [Linphone-users] backport built for Debian 10 (buster), but...
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 19:47:48 +0200

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 12:36:51AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

Debian Linphone maintainer team member here.

> I had a look at how to build the latest Linphone for Debian buster

Did you start with the Debian packages or did you package from
scratch?

> All the dependency libraries build successfully, there are some very
> minor tweaks in CPPFLAGS and CMake settings
>
> The only problem I found is in the linux-desktop component (the GUI)
>
> It requires Qt 5.12.  Debian buster has 5.11.  I tweaked the settings to
> use 5.11.  With this change, it compiles successfully
>
> However, the Settings window doesn't work.  Q_ASSERT from App.cxx:235 at
> startup.  I commented out the Q_ASSERT and I found that the rest of the
> application is working, it is only a problem with the Settings window

It would be somewhat important to know what parameters to
createSubWindow() trigger the assertion.

> Looking at the qml files, I found that three of them need a more recent
> Qt Quick Controls.  Debian with Qt 5.11 supports Qt Quick Controls 2.4.
> These are the files wanting newer versions:
>

> linphone-app/ui/modules/Common/Window/VirtualWindow.qml
>
> import QtQuick.Controls 2.5
>

> linphone-app/ui/views/App/Calls/Dialogs/MultimediaParameters.qml
>
> import QtQuick.Controls 2.4
>

> linphone-app/ui/views/App/Settings/SettingsAudio.qml
>
> import QtQuick.Controls 2.4 as Core
>

> Would it be possible to avoid using newer features in those three qml
> files so that people can use the latest Linphone on Debian buster?

Are those your changes already?  On my machine
linphone-desktop-4.2.5/linphone-app/ui/views/App/Settings/SettingsAudio.qml
contains this line:

    import QtQuick.Controls 2.7 as Core

Which is strange because QtQuick.Controls 2.5 and 2.7 were never
released/never existed: According to the version list
<https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols-index.html#versions> there was
a version jump from 2.4 (Qt 5.11) to 2.12 (Qt 5.12), so they probably
were development versions.  If you haven't already, it could be worth
a try to just lower these version numbers to "2.4", compile and see
what happens.  If it doesn't build, though, you'd have to patch the
necessary features out yourself.

Regards,
Dennis.